Buy snowboard wax
Snowboard wax is an essential part of maintaining your snowboard and plays a crucial role in maintaining optimal performance on the slopes. In this comprehensive description, we'll discuss everything you need to know about snowboard wax, why it's important and how to apply it correctly.
What is snowboard wax?
Snowboard wax is a special waxy substance that is applied to the belay (underside) of the snowboard. This wax helps to reduce friction between the snowboard and the snow, allowing you to glide over the snow smoother and faster. At the same time, snowboard wax also protects the belay from damage and makes the snowboard last longer.
Why is snowboard wax important?
Waxing your snowboard is essential to maintain optimal gliding performance. Over time and after a number of descents, your snowboard's backing will wear down and may feel rough and dry. This can lead to friction between the snowboard and the snow, causing you to go slower and have less control over your board. By applying snowboard wax regularly, you maintain a smooth and gliding surface, which makes for a smoother and faster ride on the slopes.
In addition, snowboard wax provides protection to the belay against damage, such as scratches and dents. The wax acts as a protective layer, making the belay less likely to be damaged by sharp objects and stones on the slopes. This extends the life of your snowboard and allows you to enjoy it longer.
Waxing your snowboard is especially important if you ride a lot on artificial snow. Artificial snow can be rougher and more abrasive than natural snow, which causes quicker wear and tear on the backing. By waxing regularly, you prevent the base from drying out and being damaged by the artificial snow.
How often should you wax your snowboard?
How often you should wax your snowboard depends on several factors, such as how often you ride, the conditions in which you ride and your personal preference. Generally, it is recommended to wax your snowboard about every 4 to 6 days of riding, but this can vary depending on conditions.
If you ride a lot on artificial snow or notice that your snowboard is not gliding as well, you may need to wax more often. Also, if you ride a lot off-piste and come into frequent contact with rocks and sharp objects, it is wise to wax more often to protect the belay.
How do you wax a snowboard?
Waxing a snowboard is not difficult, but it does require some preparation and attention to detail. Here is a general step-by-step plan for waxing your snowboard:
- Clean the belay: Start by thoroughly cleaning the belay with a belay cleaner to remove dirt, grease and old wax.
- Choose the right wax: There are different types of snowboard wax available, ranging from colder temperatures to warmer temperatures. Choose the wax that is appropriate for the temperature of the conditions you will be riding in.
- Melt the wax: Using a wax iron, melt the wax until it can be spread evenly over the belay.
- Apply the wax: Pour the melted wax evenly over the belay and spread it over the entire length of the snowboard using the wax iron. Make sure the belay is completely covered with a thin layer of wax.
- Allow the wax to cool: Let the wax cool for some time so that it can adhere well to the belay.
- Scrape away excess wax: Carefully scrape away excess wax with a plastic belay scraper. Be sure to do this in one smooth motion so you get a smooth surface.
- Brush the belay: Brush the belay with a belay brush to further spread the wax and create a smooth surface.
In short, snowboard wax is vital for maintaining optimal gliding performance and protecting the belay of your snowboard. By waxing regularly, you will extend the life of your snowboard and have more fun on your rides on the slopes.
Want to buy snowboard wax?
It's great that you want to wax your snowboard yourself! You've come to the right place to get your equipment for snowboard maintenance. In our collection you'll find waxing and grinding materials from the best brands like Holmenkol and Oneball. Order safe and quick online and we will make sure you can get to work quickly to get your snowboard ready for your next trip!